Commercial extraction of chitin is mainly from the shells of crustaceans such as snow crabs. Fungi and insects are alternative sources of chitin, which are poorly usable so far. The expansion of insect farming for animal feed production in recent years has increased the availability of insect biomass. In the following, we present a review that provides an overview of recently published studies on the extraction of chitin from insects and its conversion to chitosan.
Scientific news - Chitin and Chitosan
Have fun browsing on our pages!
Biological assessment or testing of the biocompatibility of medical devices is an essential part of conformity assessment. But how do I properly and efficiently assess the biocompatibility of my medical device? The FDA has published new recommendations for assessing the biocompatibility of medical devices.
The corona virus disease COVID-19 has changed the world. To combat the pandemic, researchers and companies around the world are working to develop vaccines and medicines. Chitosan also has potential in the area of vaccine development and functionalization of protective equipment such as respirators. We have prepared summaries of recent publications on chitosan as an aid in the fight against corona.
Hepatocellular carcinoma is a solid tumor that exhibits severe angiogenesis, cell cycle dysregulation, and evasion of apoptosis. Late diagnosis in a large proportion of patients is making the carcinomas inoperable, and various chemotherapeutic agents are used. Due to the numerous side effects of known chemotherapeutic agents, intensive research is performed on the use of natural products and their synthetic analogues. The authors of the presented study investigated the effect of carboxymethyl chitosan oligosaccharides on the growth of hepatocellular tumors in mice.
More Articles ...
- Chitosan for vaccine development against SARS-CoV-2
- Water-soluble drug release by chitosan microparticles
- Modification of denture materials with chitosan salts
- Fluorescence immunoassay for detection of pathogens
- Chitosan as protection against dental erosion
- Chitosan and curcumin for treatment of glaucoma or cancer
- Chitosan implants for regenerative medicine
- Crustacean vs. mushroom - Chitin and Chitosan for wound treatment
- Respirators with chitosan nanoparticles as protection against SARS-CoV-2 infection
- Chitosan derivatives for the treatment of dry eye disease
- Chitosan for pulmonary applications
- Chitosan as construction material on mars
- Chitosan and stem cells for wound healing
- Houston, we have no problem – Chitosan-based bulletproof coatings - research at Houston universitiy
- Pangolins and chitin