Listeriosis is a foodborne infectious disease caused by the pathogen Listeria monocytogenes and is particularly serious for pregnant women and immunocompromised persons. The pathogen is spread mainly through spoiled and contaminated food or animal feed. Methods for the detection of Listeria monocytogenes (LM) on surfaces in the food industry have been developed to control the spread of the pathogen, but these are time-consuming and require special equipment. In the presented study, a fluorescence sandwich immunoassay was developed using a chitosan cellulose nanocrystal (CNC) membrane to detect Listeria monocytogenes on surfaces.
Scientific news - Chitin and Chitosan
Have fun browsing on our pages!
Dental erosion is the demineralization of the hard tooth substance caused by acids. Particularly in industrialized countries this is an increasing problem due to changes in drinking and eating habits in recent decades. Additionally, the teeth surface is eroded by mechanical interaction like brushing. To substantially reharden demineralized enamel, the development of appropriate prophylaxis and therapy is important. HMC presents two studies that tested toothpaste and mouth rinses containing chitosan.
Glaucoma is a group of diseases of the eye with damaged optic nerve and retina in advanced stages, possibly leading to blindness. One of the causes is increased intraocular pressure. Here, we present two publications, which investigated the combination of chitosan and curcumin for treatment of glaucoma and cancer patients.
In recent decades, there have been major advances in regenerative medicine, such as the treatment of severe nerve injuries. Implants used as scaffolds for nerve cell regeneration are often made of biodegradable polymers, such as chitosan. Below, we present a study that investigated the degradation and stability of tubular chitosan-based implants.
More Articles ...
- Crustacean vs. mushroom - Chitin and Chitosan for wound treatment
- Respirators with chitosan nanoparticles as protection against SARS-CoV-2 infection
- Chitosan derivatives for the treatment of dry eye disease
- Chitosan for pulmonary applications
- Chitosan as construction material on mars
- Chitosan and stem cells for wound healing
- Houston, we have no problem – Chitosan-based bulletproof coatings - research at Houston universitiy
- Pangolins and chitin
- Chitosan oligosaccharides for plant protection
- Chitosan nanoparticles - potential drug delivery systems for COVID-19 drugs
- Chitosan against Corona? Substituted chitosan as effective inhibitor of SARS-CoV-2 and MERS-CoV
- Chitosan as adjuvant for vaccines
- How to read our certificate of analysis?
- Recent and ongoing clinical studies with chitosan
- Chitosan research in 2019