Commercial extraction of chitin is mainly from the shells of crustaceans such as snow crabs. Fungi and insects are alternative sources of chitin, which are poorly usable so far. The expansion of insect farming for animal feed production in recent years has increased the availability of insect biomass. In the following, we present a review that provides an overview of recently published studies on the extraction of chitin from insects and its conversion to chitosan.
Get more information about:
- Chitin and chitosan on the world wide web
- Company news
- Publications and releases
- Tips and tricks
Biological assessment or testing of the biocompatibility of medical devices is an essential part of conformity assessment. But how do I properly and efficiently assess the biocompatibility of my medical device? The FDA has published new recommendations for assessing the biocompatibility of medical devices.
The European Chitin Society (EUCHIS) hosts an interesting webinar series about current chitin and chitosan related research topics, every last Tuesday of a month. Starting on April 27 with presentations by Prof. Bruno Moerschbacher and Prof. Rupert Kargl!
The corona virus disease COVID-19 has changed the world. To combat the pandemic, researchers and companies around the world are working to develop vaccines and medicines. Chitosan also has potential in the area of vaccine development and functionalization of protective equipment such as respirators. We have prepared summaries of recent publications on chitosan as an aid in the fight against corona.
More Articles ...
- Carboxymethyl chitosan for treatment of liver carcinomas
- Follow us on twitter
- The European Chitin Society offers a new webinar series
- Chitosan for vaccine development against SARS-CoV-2
- Water-soluble drug release by chitosan microparticles
- Modification of denture materials with chitosan salts
- Fluorescence immunoassay for detection of pathogens
- Chitosan as protection against dental erosion
- Chitosan and curcumin for treatment of glaucoma or cancer
- HMC team availability by phone currently limited
- Chitosan implants for regenerative medicine
- Crustacean vs. mushroom - Chitin and Chitosan for wound treatment
- Respirators with chitosan nanoparticles as protection against SARS-CoV-2 infection
- Chitosan derivatives for the treatment of dry eye disease
- Chitosan for pulmonary applications